Friday, September 25, 2009

Lesson 5 - Review Websites

WEBSITES

Boxes and Arrows
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

-Boxes and Arrows is devoted to the practice, innovation, and discussion of design; including graphic design, interaction design, information architecture and the design of business.

-I like the title of the site and the simple minimimalist design and feel of the layout/simple menu at the top when hover before clicking a selection/an arrow shows up very nice... a site where you can submit stories, list/post a bio/forum, events, jobs.

-The side menu is the meat of whats inside the site offers alot of info and education about the many aspects of IA

-nicely done..well organized.. I didn't feel annoyed or frustrated by this site at all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NewsMap http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/newsmap.cfm
Does the structure and organization of this site help or hurt the search and navigation process? Okay I think right off visually - hurt! for sure. I am put off immediately by the overdone over the top packed side to side color boxes with text. Quite simply, I don't think it works. The teeny tiny menu at the top is too small of font and there are too many items to read through to decide what they are, do I need to go there?? There is a search field by now though I have already thought I won't use the site, too much work... I also see a Register button and am also discouraged..I don't want yet another login/psswrd... ug!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon http://amazon.com/ I don't like amazon...I think there is too much different stuff visually on the front page... I only use if for book searches and purchasing something very specific that I know I want and search then browse within that screen then buy.... I don't use amazon to do alot of general browsing...I feel like I might be there for hours....ug!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo http://www.yahoo.com/
This site is generally more open feel however, I must say this and even my hotmail account...I don't want to browse here for news or information...I just want to get into my email.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Google
http://www.google.com/ Now google is a little different. I love the white space and the blank search field. Its a breather from the visually overload of searching and reading. I do like the other types of google searches available. I rely on Google for everything. I like that About Google is just a link that will take you to a whole other page that is simple and blocked off in colors.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ebay http://www.ebay.com/ I never use Ebay. I don't have enough money to warrant even going there. I did on one occasion use it to search for a particular Tshirt. Page Plant Tour of which I found and bought. It seems straightforward and less overload than amazon

__________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment